Professional Development By Design
Professional Development By Design [PDxDesign] partners our expert designers with your teachers to co-create a new embodied learning scenario. Over the course of 6 – 8 weeks, the group meets weekly via videoconference. By the end of the program, we deliver a newly created scenario that is ready for deployment in your classrooms.
Today’s classroom integrates a wide variety of technologies that are evolving at a rapid pace. To use the tools of both today and tomorrow, teachers must possess a critical eye for the affordances of any instructional technology. They must develop an understanding of how interactive technology is designed and developed. To truly thrive in this context, they need a new set of skills that can only be developed through a hands-on approach.
PDxDesign participants will work from concept to a final product over the course of 6 to 8 weeks. Along the way they will define student-learning goals, critique existing tools, examine prototype designs, and develop evaluation metrics for the final scenario. PDxDesign is a highly interactive, hands-on program that will have a positive impact on teaching and learning across your campus by exploring the tenets of embodied learning.
PDxDesign participants meet via videoconference, for one hour, once a week. Additional design and development work occurs between group meetings and is coordinated via email and video conferencing.
One instructional designer and one programmer will join the group from SMALLab Learning. At least 2 teachers participate from your school.
There are 7 stages to the program:
- Brainstorming– Discuss student learning goals and challenges to identify concepts for a new scenario
- Identify Student Learning Goals– Building from ideas in stage 1 narrow the list to arrive a set of learning goals
- Existing Tools and New Ideas– Identify existing technologies that address the learning goals; identify opportunities for embodied learning
- Scenario Concept and Prototyping– Sketch the outlines of a new embodied learning scenario and begin prototype implementation
- Prototype Testingand Revision – We send your teachers a prototype version of the new scenario for testing and feedback
- Evaluation Design– We work with your teachers to develop evaluation metrics and instruments to assess the efficacy of the new scenario
- Deployment– We deliver a final scenario, ready for implementation in your classrooms
For program details and pricing, please contact us.